All Upper Staff are certified in first aid for professional rescuers, RTE, AED, CPR and many are certified as lifeguards as well. First aid and lifeguarding staff will always be stationed with the groups. These emergency staff members, as well as the group leaders, will carry first aid kits on them at all times.
TRIPS:Walking & Bus Trips
- All groups are equipped with walkie-talkies
- On the buses, campers are properly seat-belted prior to beginning the trip.
- All counselors do face checks (we do not simply use “head counts” – our staff always goes the extra step to ensure our children’s well being and safety)
- Upon arrival at the trip destination, a “safe zone” is designated (typically near a food court) where there are directional signs. A Counselor is stationed at the safety zone with a first aid kit, to be used in emergency situations only.
- Campers will walk in two lines, with a counselor stationed at the front, rear, and middle of the line. Every 15 steps the counselors do a face check.
- By the end of the second week of camp, campers are tested by a certified water instructor, and their individual swimming level is assigned.
- The pool is sectioned off in three parts horizontally. Each swim level is divided into a section. Within each section there are counselors assigned to remain in the water. Around the perimeter of the pool, counselors are placed 5 ft apart and are instructed to remain in place watching campers and the pool area. Each section will have its own lifeguard, as well as a swimming instructor to train the campers, and provide for their safety.
- Each camper is given a brightly colored swim cap that they must wear when swimming. Each swim level has a different colored swim cap (i.e. red, green or blue).
- Each camper is paired with a swim buddy within their swim level and camper group (we utilize the buddy check system).
- For each swimming level, staff is fully equipped with toys/supplies/equipment/safety belts, etc.
- Around the outer area of the pool, a counselor will be stationed to record whenever a camper leaves or returns to the water.
- For each day, there are themed games/activities within the pool that correspond with a 30-minute instructional lesson taught by the instructor. The activities are designed to be fun, and to further the theme of that day.
- Campers receive 30 minutes of recreational swim during each lesson.
- All campers should have sunblock brought from home.
- Staff do not apply sunblock to campers, however they will assist with applying spray sunblock.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL
If you have chosen Home Transportation, your child will be picked up at your door between 7:00 AM and 9:00 AM , and arrive home between 4:30 PM and 5:30 PM. A staff member will contact each family to tell them the exact pick-up and drop-off times, but if you have further questions regarding your child’s transportation please call our office. We ask that all campers be ready by 7:00 AM on their first day, although your child may be picked up later. After the first day, all pick-up and drop-off times will remain as consistent as possible.
In order for someone to pick up a child, they must have a photo ID on them. This includes parents, grandparents, siblings, etc. Our staff will match the name on the photo ID with the name on the list that was provided to us with your application.
You may email regarding all absences, late arrivals, or special requests, or call the camp office. If your child is going to be absent, or will be arriving late to camp or being picked up early, it is extremely important that you notify the camp office in order for us to make any necessary arrangements. Please DO NOT give messages to the driver or counselors. The number to call is (718) 648-7703 ext. 223 or e-mail email@example.com. Feel free to leave a message with information regarding absences or route changes on our machine if we are away from the office.
CAMPER BEHAVIOR CODE
Our camp is designed to encourage success-building skills in children. All camp activities are designed to reinforce the five character principles of Honesty, Caring, Respect, Responsibility and Friendship. In our camp we reward children for displaying positive behaviors. We practice progressive discipline and we employ positive reinforcement to the extent appropriate.
ZERO BULLYING AND VIOLENCE POLICY:
Any act of bullying, violence or extreme aggression towards participants, staff, or camp property will result in a child’s immediate dismissal from camp for the remainder of the day. Bullying, violence and aggressive acts may also include forms of extreme emotional abuse. Repeated behaviors may result in the child’s expulsion from camp for the rest of the summer.
Please note: Any action that jeopardizes the safety of the camp or any participants will result in immediate dismissal.